Over a number of years we have developed and maintained a unique database that can be used to find out where adoption records might be held. The database can be searched using information about a home (maternity, mother & baby, shelter etc), organisation or local authority involved in the birth or adoption, or a staff member who worked in one of these homes or organisations. The results show the most likely current holder of the adoption records, and include full contact details so that further enquiries can be made.
Database searches can be conducted by CoramBAAF on behalf of full member agencies and members of the public who are searching for information for their own use.
Adoption Support Agencies (ASAs) who wish to request database searches should contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss this further.
To request a database search please email us at email@example.com and include the following information:
- Your name
- Your phone number
- Your membership status (for agencies)
- Background information about the adoption and the reason for making a search
- Any information you have about the home, agency or local authority involved in the adoption:
- The name or address of a mother and baby or other home
- The name or address of an organisation
- The name or address of a local authority
- The name of a staff member at a home or organisation
We will provide you with a response which includes details of any matching results we have found within 5 working days. We will provide you with contact information so that you can make contact with the likely record holder, but please note that we will not be able to make contact on your behalf.
If you require any other information about searching for information, accessing records and tracing family members please consult our free Tracing Guide and the information pages in the Locating Records section.