navigation top

Intermediary Services for Descendants and other Relatives of Adopted People with a Prescribed Relationship

New Rules on Intermediary Services for for Descendants of and other Relatives with a Prescribed Relationship with an Adopted Person

Following consultation, the government has announced new rules to make provision for intermediary services to facilitate contact between ‘persons with a prescribed relationship’ and the birth relatives of a person adopted before 30th December 2005.

Details about the new rules which came into force on 31st October 2014, and a link to the government's consultation response, can be found in the Department for Education Press release.

Update on Disclosure of the Birth Name of an Adopted Person

BAAF has issued a notice explaining the current situation regarding the disclosure of the birth name of an adopted person under the new regulations. At present the rules can prevent disclosure of the birth name of the adopted person in some circumstances and the Department of Education and the General Registrar's Office are working together to rectify this situation.

Further details can be found in the news item on the Adoption Search Reunion website.

BAAF Guides to Accessing Intermediary Services

BAAF has prepared three separate guides explaining the rights of relatives with a prescribed relationship to an adopted adult to access intermediary services under these new provisions, so that they may be able to locate adoption records and birth relatives.

The guides, which are in question and answer format, provide answers to some commonly asked questions about the recent changes in the law and explain:

  • what descendants can do to access the service and information they need
  • the adopted person’s rights in relation to these changes
  • how local authorities, voluntary adoption agencies and adoption support agencies, can  respond when they receive enquiries from adopted people, descendants and other relatives.

The three guides explaining the new rights to access intermediary services are available below:

Find out about the Descendants of Adopted Persons (DAP) campaign

The Descendants of Adopted Persons (DAP) group launched a campaign to highlight the problems experienced by descendants who want to access birth information about deceased adopted relatives, and to bring about change.

Copyright BAAF and its suppliers © 1999 - 2014.
British Association for Adoption and Fostering is a registered charity no. 275689 (England and Wales) and SC039337 (Scotland)
Registered as a company limited by guarantee in England and Wales no. 01379092. VAT no. 235 3764 58
Registered office at Saffron House, 6-10 Kirby Street, London EC1N 8TS (map)
Tel 020 7421 2600 | email